Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Zucchini Pancakes


It seems like everyone and their mother has a garden these days. Except for me. Luckily, I have enough friends and family overproducing to keep me stocked with fruits and vegetables up until...eh....2012. I had some zucchini in the fridge that I wanted to use up and my husband was out with his friend scoping out deer hunting spots. Doesn't that sound grand? It gave me a great chance to make something that would be fun for dinner but wouldn't be enough for his monster appetite if he was joining me.

This recipe is from my favorite blog The Pioneer Woman Cooks . They were delicious! The recipe from PW is a little vague in ingredients so I used my own measurements to make things simplistic for you all. You can thank me in the form of cookies.

Zucchini Cakes (I say pancakes because zucchini cake makes me think of dessert)

Ingredients:

2 cups shredded zucchini (2 whole zucchinis in my case)
1/2 bread crumbs
1/2 cup italian cheese blend (I used romano/parmesan)
2 eggs
1 T. minced garlic (about 4-5 cloves and that made it very garlicy but it kept the vampires away)
olive oil (enough to make a nice frying layer in the pan)
salt and pepper (to taste)

Directions:

1. Shred zucchini using a cheese grater. Take towels and pat shredded zucchini to remove majority of water. (There's a lot of water in those suckas!)

2. Mix together zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Heat olive oil in a frying pan to medium heat. Drop in small globs of zucchini into heated olive and press down with fork to flatten. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Serve with ranch dressing or other dipping sauces!

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love this! Then again, anything fried has to be good! Besides, its a vegetable, right? :)

annie said...

These sound wonderful! I love and an obsessed with zucchini, so I will have to try these.

Jaime said...

do you like goat cheese? i have some goat cheese stuffed zucchini pancakes in my blog! mmmm!