Sunday, January 6, 2008

Parmesan Encrusted Tilapia


This, by far, is the greatest recipe I've ever come across. I will preface by saying I hate fish. Tilapia is a very mild fish but the topping really camoflages any fishy flavors. I've made this dish for friends and family and everyone loves it! My friend's husband ordered a similar dish in a restaurant and said mine was better! The best part is that it takes less than 10 minutes to prep and cook.
Source: Allrecipes.com
Ingredients-

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
2 pounds tilapia fillets
Directions-
1. Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
3. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes.
4. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.
Note: I remove the center vein in the tilapia by cutting the filet down the center. I've found it decreases any fishy flavors.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is definately the best fish meal that I have ever had.

Jen said...

I made this last night and it was delish!

Nicole said...

This was really good, but my sauce was just soupy, it did not brown and get crispy looking like in your picture. Possibly because I realized after going to the store that I only had shredded parmesan and not nearly enough.

But it was so good and I liked the shredded parmesan.

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and really messed it up. We used block parm that we grated and I think it was too light and fluffy to really absorb the butter. We also used margerine and maybe a bit too much. When it hit the hot fish it just got super melty and slid right off.

Undeterred, we collected the drippings off the pan, thickened it up with some more parm and then spread it back over the fish. It was still AMAZING. I can't wait to try this again!

ChristinS